July 31, 2013

Chrys Fey’s 30 Day Writing Challenge


A while ago I was trying to find a writing challenge to complete. I scrounged the internet and found a couple, but was not satisfied with their quality, so I created my own!

The goal of my writing challenge is to give you ideas for future stories and characters, but also to get your creative juices flowing by writing about memories and even wishes. The best thing about my challenge is that there are no guidelines. You can write two sentences, two paragraphs, or two pages; whatever moves you! You don’t even have to do the challenges 30 days in a row. You can do multiple challenges in a single day, one once a week, or pick and choose the ones you want to do. 


Shortened prompts that you can save, use, and share on social media.




1. Start a piece with: “Once upon a time…”

2. Open a book at random and pick a line. Use that line as the beginning of your piece and continue writing from where it leaves off. Pen the first thoughts that come to mind and don’t revise it.

3. If you could go on a vacation anywhere in the world, where would you go? Use vivid details and prose to describe the experience you would like to have.

4. Create a character off the top of your head and write a short history about them.

5. Write about a dream or nightmare that you’ve had. Turn it into a short-short story.

6. Start a piece with: “I am standing at my kitchen window…” (Be creative! Make the piece fit a specific genre such as mystery, horror, romance, etc.)

7. What is your favorite season? Use vivid details and even include memories you have of that season.

8. Pick the title of one of your favorite songs and write a piece about it. Give the lyrics meaning by creating a story for it.

9. You’re sitting in a coffee shop when you look up and see _______. Write a fictional piece about what would happen if you saw a celebrity in a coffee shop. (Humorous/suspenseful)

10. Find something that you wrote a long time ago (published or unpublished) and rewrite the beginning. Give it a different tone.

11. Write a short nonfiction piece about your first job.

12. Turn someone you know and love into a character. Write about them. Give them a fictional life.

13. Describe your dream home as if you are living in it now.

14. Recreate the sentence: “It was a dark and stormy night.” Expand it into a paragraph or two if you are so moved.

15. Write about a memory from your childhood. Good or bad. Give it new life and insight.

16. The next time you are eating, write about the food on your plate or in your bowl. Describe every portion. And as you are eating, write about all the tastes on your tongue.

17. What is your favorite holiday? Write a short-short about a character experiencing that holiday and everything you associate with it.

18. Think of your favorite book growing up. Use the title as inspiration for your next piece. What do you imagine when you read that title? Write a poem or a paragraph.

19. What were you like as a child? Describe little you as you would a character in a book. 

20. What is your sun sign? (Aries, Virgo) Use your sign as inspiration for a character (protagonist or antagonist) or setting (world or made-up town).

21. Go outside. Sit on the porch, in the garden, or at the beach, and write about nature.

22. Create a past life for yourself. Who were you? What did you do?

23. Write a journal entry for your favorite fictional character.

24. If you went on a road trip or cruise, describe the experience you would like to have and places you’d like to see.

25. Theme: Water (Write anything that comes to mind involving water.)

26. What do you imagine the future will be like? Write a short science fiction piece.

27. What is your favorite fairy tale? Give it a new ending.

28. What are you like now? Describe yourself as if you were a character in one of your books.

29. End a piece with: "But that wasn’t the end."

30. Write a letter to your muse. (Dear Muse,)


I hope you have fun with this challenge! Thank you for participating!


12 comments:

  1. Is it ok, if I blog about this? I would like to do this challenge for the month of September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! Go right on ahead! I'd love to read what you come up with too. :) But I will ask you to add the link to the challenge to each blog just so others can also participate. :)

      Delete
  2. This sounds really interesting. I can't promise to be able to do it everyday but | will work through the challenges

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kathryn! You definitely don't have to do them every day.

      I hope you enjoy the challenge!

      Delete
  3. Hello!
    I really like your challenge and as a blogger/wannabe writer, I'd like to try it as well. But since my native language is Turkish, I prefer to write in Turkish so the challenges won't be in English. And I doubt Google translate would do an accurate job :))
    Still, I am linking your page to credit your idea but also as a "thank you" because i found this very motivating and inspiring to write. So yeah, don't think those weird Turkish pingbacks are spam :)
    Anyways, I am hoping there will be others who join in... We'll see how it goes.
    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, deniz!

      Thank you so much for your comment and your interest in my challenge. And thank you for letting me know that you'll be writing it in Turkish. I'll definitely stop by your blog and see if I can figure out how to translate. :)

      Delete
  4. Is it still free place for a new comer? I just saw this announcement and my adrenaline level is already high seeing a challenge! Will this be each month or is only a spot? I would love to have on my website each month this challenge. In my daily life I am an engineer and the cogwheels in my brain already started to move with high speed.
    After one year of this kind of challenge, we can publish lots of anthology books... what you think?
    Well... is is still place for me here, I would love to start from August, 15. This because meanwhile I have to finish my first book and I am on the last 100 meters from the race :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything on my blog is free. :) This is a challenge you can do whenever you feel like it and how often you want. I'm not actually doing the challenge right now, I created examples a while ago, but don't let that stop you from doing it. You can complete a challenge a month or once a week; it's up to you. I never even thought of using this challenge to publish anthologies and wouldn't even know where to begin. When you're done, you would definitely have enough for your own short story collection, though. :)

      Delete
  5. Thank you for posting these. I'm going to attempt at least a few of them, and have posted a link back to here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Chrys,

    I wanted to let you know that I've taken up this challenge in my blog (http://abbysharon.tumblr.com/). Thanks so much for posting this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! I hope you have fun with it. :D

      Delete